The original Guinness Storehouse, a grid structure of overlapping girders rising approximately 38 metres to a glazed roof, is believed to be the first major Chicago-style steel-framed, multi-storey building constructed in Europe. Built in 1904, it remained in commercial use until the late 1980s.
In 1999, we began work on the conversion of this listed building, a task that necessitated the use of highly skilled engineering and construction methods. The new facilities, which overlook a vast atrium, were created by cutting out floors and revealing girders, thereby conveying a feeling of massive industrial strength. The atrium is glazed-in to resemble a pint-shaped glass and is topped by a glass roof.
Some artefacts formerly used during the fermentation stage of the brewing process were incorporated into the new structure: these included a giant copper roasting machine and a pair of enormous 150-year-old American Oak vats. The six-floor 15,794 m2 development comprises a visitors centre; centralised archive; training and corporate facilities; a retail store, and three bars: one of these (the Gravity Bar on the sixth floor) is an entirely new, steel-framed circular structure offering panoramic views of Dublin city and county.
||Diageo – Project Phoenix
||Guinness Brewery St. James’s Gate Dublin
||John Sisk & Son Ltd.
|Type of Structure
||Precast stairs, lift shafts